Executive Director, EDCMC
Welcome to the Economic Development Corporation Michigan City (EDCMC) website. Michigan City is located between Chicago and Michigan’s harbor country, on the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan.
Here at the EDCMC, we have committed ourselves to five main objectives. They are:
- Workforce Development & Education – align workforce development and education with existing and targeted industry needs
- Business Retention & Expansion – ensure that local businesses receive the necessary support and attention to their needs/issues to compete in the global marketplace.
- Business Attraction & Development – attract and develop prospects that are compatible with the local business environment and long-term strategy; partner with regional organizations with strategic plans that align with EDCMC goals for business attraction and development
- Integration with Community Development – implement and execute seamless strategies and programs with both economic development and community development to drive systemic change
- Organizational Sustainability – ensure long-term sustainability by effectively maximizing the engagement of EDCMC Board of Directors, staff, investors, city officials and community stakeholders
Because of our commitment to these goals, we have seen over $48 million in new investment by businesses both existing and new to Michigan City. This has also resulted in the creation or retention of over 325 jobs in 2014 and 2015.
Michigan City is the city where business and pleasure do mix! Explore our local attractions such as the sandy lakeshore the city sits on to the Blue Chip Casino Hotel & Spa or the Lighthouse Premium Outlet Shops and Downtown Arts District. Such renowned attractions, combined with the many business advantages that Michigan City has offer, makes the city a prime location to both stay and expand or relocate to. Businesses in Michigan City benefit from any one of the following advantages of doing business here:
- Strong labor force and favorable workforce development
- Multiple TIF districts
- Urban Enterprise Zone
- HUB Zone
- Foreign Trade Zone
- Low Costs of Doing Business
- Tax Abatement
- Access to three major interstate highways, rail infrastructure, an international seaport, and international water via Lake Michigan
At the EDCMC, we believe that you will find everything needed to create and foster growth in your business. If you have any questions in regards to expansion in Michigan City, or need assistance in facilitating the growth of your company, I encourage you to contact us at the EDCMC office. My staff and I are ready and able to assist you to succeed in Michigan City!
Clarence L. Hulse