The Greater La Porte Economic Development Corporation (GLEDC) and the Economic Development Corporation Michigan City (EDCMC) are continuing to partner in a joint economic development Program of Action. Over the past three years, both organizations have been working on economic development initiatives including new business attraction, existing business retention and expansion, research and marketing. This unique partnership is successfully helping to position both communities as locations of choice for new business investment and existing business growth.
While both organizations contract with their respective cities of La Porte and Michigan City to perform economic development activities, funding from the business community is essential to continue these expanded and new aggressive economic development initiatives planned through this pivotal joint program. The 2014 – 2016 Economic Development Community Investment Campaign, with a goal of $400,000, will be shared by both organizations for administration and implementation of the programs.
Please consider becoming an Investor by making a three-year pledge toward the funding of this unique partnership. Your financial investment is critical to the program’s success, which will ultimately result in enhancing the overall vitality and quality of life in La Porte and Michigan City.
Once again, GLEDC and EDCMC are partnering with the Unity Foundation of La Porte County, which has established the Economic Development Investment Fund. This is a special fund for these tax deductible donations.
Become an Investor and help La Porte and Michigan City Build Economic Success Together!
Mayor Blair Milo
Mayor Ron Meer
Manufacturing companies from all over LaPorte County gathered to show off the area’s impressive trade industry at the 3rd Annual Made In LaPorte County. From left: Dr. Barbara Eason-Watkins, Superintendent of Michigan City Area Schools; Frank Cardello, Packaging Logic; Bert Cook, Executive Director, GLEDC; Ron Meer, Michigan City Mayor; Blair Milo, LaPorte Mayor.
Economic Development Activity
During the past three years, through the support of Investors, much has been accomplished in creating new jobs and investment, as well as, retaining existing jobs in La Porte and Michigan City. GLEDC and EDCMC work closely with their economic development PARTNERS in achieving their successes.
- La Porte and Michigan City Councils and Redevelopment Commissions
- Indiana Economic Development Corporation
- Northwest Indiana Forum
- Regional Development Company
- Center of Workforce Innovations/NW IN Workforce Board
- Small Business Development Center
- La Porte and Michigan City Chambers of Commerce
Thomas Rose Industrial Park
“Space Center, Inc. has made a significant investment in real estate in La Porte County. We financially contribute to the Community Investment Campaign to ensure that our properties receive the very best economic development services provided by both the Greater La Porte Economic Development Corporation and the Economic Development Corporation of Michigan City.”
Tom Casey, Vice President
Funds raised will be used to market and promote La Porte and Michigan City as the premier locations of choice for new and existing businesses.
- ”Sell” La Porte and Michigan City as the best locations for business
- Develop marketing materials and social media outreach
- Aggressive interactive websites
- Special Site Selector Section
- Data bases on available buildings and sites
- Maintain information on local, regional and state demographics and incentives
- Share business prospect inquiries between GLEDC and EDCMC
- Attend trade shows
- Interact with Chicago area commercial/industrial realtors and brokers
- Process new prospect leads from the Indiana Economic Development Corp.
Business Retention and Expansion
Insuring that existing businesses in La Porte and Michigan City are being recognized and served is a prime initiative of the Program. GLEDC and EDCMC created the Assistant Development Director for the Business Retention and Expansion Program.
This program addresses the needs of local businesses through an aggressive business visitation effort.
- Identify specific concerns and problems of local businesses and provide effective solutions
- Acquaint business executives with programs that better strengthen their company
- Assist with expansion plans
- Serve as liaison between local government and businesses
- Promote interaction among local businesses
- Assist with workforce/training needs
- Assist with brownfield redevelopment
- Develop “shovel ready” properties
- Conduct “Made in La Porte County” events
- Host site selector professionals
Circle of Investors
Special thanks to these generous CIRCLE OF INVESTORS who are committed to supporting economic development efforts in Michigan City and City of La Porte. The funds will be used to continue an aggressive Economic Development Program of Action that includes new business attraction, existing business retention, research and marketing.
Investors will receive updated information on the progress of the Program of Action and will be invited to Circle of Investors receptions. Investors will also receive special recognition for their support.
"Michigan City and La Porte are proactively moving ahead and creating their own opportunities. Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad is a proud investor and committed to building a diverse and resilient economy in these communities."